Angry Lobster On A Bed Of Nails
2 1 1/2 -lb. live lobsters (2 1/2-lb. lobsters = 4 portions)
2 cups Wondra flour
1/4 cup chili powder
2 Tbsps. cayenne
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lg. egg, beaten
1 1/2 Tbsps. fresh garlic, minced
1 Tbsps. red pepper flakes
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chili oil (see note below)
2 Tbsps. sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
1 Tbsp. lemon zest, julienned, simmer in simple syrup, and drained
1/2 cup lobster or chicken stock
2 Tbsps. unsalted butter
fresh basil leaves, deep fried (for garnish)
4 (approx 1 lemon per person) lemons, cut into eighths
1) Separate knuckles/claws from each lobster; split knuckles/claw on band saw; reserve; split lobster from head to tail on a band saw; separate body halves from tail halves; remove brain sac from bodies; retain tomalley and roe (if using a female) in each body half.
2) Heat oven to 475 F.
3) Mix Wondra flour, chili powder, cayenne, salt on a plate; dredge lobster in flour mixture, shaking off excess; reserve.
4) Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; add lobster, cut side down; cook until it begins to color; flip; place in oven (bake biscuits at the same time with the lobster; brush biscuits with beaten egg; bake until lightly browned) cook 7-8 minutes; remove both from oven; place lobster on a platter; reserve (keep warm).
5) Set skillet used to cook lobsters over medium heat; add garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, and chili oil; cook 2 minutes; add sun-dried tomatoes and lemon zest; cook 1 minute; add stock; bring to a boil; reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
6) Add butter; swirl skillet until butter is incorporated; remove from heat; stir in lemon juice; reserve (keep warm).
7) To serve, set round frog (small holder with spikes used for flower arrangements) on large plate; impale lemon eighths around perimeter of the frog; impale lobster in the center of the frog; spoon sauce over lobster; set seaweed strand of biscuits alongside; garnish with fried basil leaves.
Scale-up: Can be scaled up in direct proportion.
Chef NotesFor the seaweed, use the rockweed (Ascophyllum nodosum) that surrounds shipped lobsters. To make chili oil, gently heat 2 cups canola oil, 2 Tbsps. red pepper flakes, and 2 Tbsps, paprika; remove from heat; let infuse at least 4 hours; strain.